Thursday, September 10, 2009

College Student Wonderings

Today I started my College class titled, The Sociological Imagination, it is basically an Intro To Sociology course. I thought this class was going to be a real bore...and just one of those common core classes, that you don't want to take...but if you want to graduate you have to suffer through it. well was I wrong......just one night of class and it has me thinking...I mean really thinking...

I am from a small town, where everyone lives in the nuclear family, (Mom, Dad, and Children), Well as you can tell by the title of my blog, The Single Mommy, My son and I, are not a typical nuclear family. So what does that have to do with Sociology?

Well tonight in class we were discussing education and the role it plays in society. We were discussing all types of things, and one item that came up, was that children whose parents are upper middle class have more advantages than other children.

Well, at my son's school, the school that I attended when I was young, I have always had the problem of being heard, being listened to. I never knew what to attribute it to. So in class tonight we had to discuss our own education systems, and it came up about my son attending the same school as I did. As we were talking, my professor asked me this question, "do you think that because in your school system, they do not have a lot of single mother's, they don't know how to deal with you? It seems to me that you are the minority in your school system, and they are not used to having to work with someone who is a young single mother."

Well did that get me thinking....and you know what...after much pondering and considering...I have come to the conclusion my professor was right. The reason I say this, if my Mother goes to a meeting for Nicholas, they listen, they do whatever she asks, but if I go alone, nothing I say matters, and they make all decisions, without considering me at all.

So what do I attribute this to? Is it that I'm young? Or that I'm single? I don't know what it is...but you can bet after this class tonight...I plan to find out :)

1 comment:

  1. At least you keep trying, and even if it takes your mom, as frustrating as that is, it gets the job done.

    Welcome to blogging!

    ReplyDelete